• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ND Live Reports~Williston, ND Paddlefish 5/06/10

Big Game Fishing

The confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone in NW North Dakota is saturated with history. From Lewis and Clark to modern day fisherman, that history has always been tied to the raw, rugged forces of nature. This season’s May 1st opener is no exception. Brutal cold, rain, snow and wind keep the edges sharp.

From early morning coffee steaming in the fresh air to freezing cold beer dripping ice, breakfast is served. Season opens each morning at 8 am sharp. If you’re late you will miss the best spots already taken by a line-up of excited heavy equipment operators heaving out 5 to 8 ounces of lead on 30 to 100 test line, with a treble hook big enough to anchor your boat.

This is big game fishing at its finest as the May 2, 2010 state record set by Alex Mergen of Black Hawk, SD will testify. Coming in at 6 ft 2 inches, 130 lbs with a massive 46 inch chest. 10 lbs over the 1993 record of 120 lbs set by Brian Johnson of Williston. With a limit of one per season you even need a tag, just like deer hunting. This is Big Game Fishing!

It’s Thursday May 6th before we get a chance to head west to Williston. Since the May 1 opener 231 fish have been caught leaving 769 opportunities for the 2010 ND Paddlefish season. You know it is Paddlefish season by the rain, cold and wind. The wipers haven’t turned off since leaving Minot.

Our team is made up of myself, my oldest Jesse(15) and his brother Levi (13). Levi so wants a fish and I’m praying it comes his way.

We are not even to the water when the excitement begins. With two on the conveyer ride up and into the caviar shack two more show up to take their place. First the 87 lb fish followed by Tim Jacobson’s monster. Even a non-exaggerating type would call this a 100 lb fish. Tim has a knack for this as his last fish, two years ago was a 80 pound plus!

Fishermen line the banks from the boat ramp both directions and others are heading out on the soupy Missouri for a camping experience in the rain and mud. Earthy is how I would describe this. You couldn’t make people do this if you paid them oil field wages. However, give them a chance to fish and it’s goo, muck, near hypothermia, mixed with joking, laughter, hard work and memories of adventure.

By mid-afternoon the rain has dampened the enthusiasm of the early birds and some real estate begins to open up along the banks. Still no fish for our gang but Levi has the heart of a lion which shines right through the misty fog of the rain. By now he has had made more casts than can be counted. There doesn’t seem to be any magical formula like put in your time, persevere and it will happen. I’ll admit I did think that was the answer but Ray changed my mind.

Ray drove over from New Rockford just this morning. I asked him how many casts and he replied “About one half.” Ya, serious. He makes the first cast and first pull, fires up the second pull and half way into it sinks the #10 treble into a 100 pound fish! The thing is a monster. That’s two right at a 100 lbs and not even a bump for the Schonecks.

We hit the confluence on a tuff day but then all days Paddlefish fishing are a tuff day. It’s just some days are more rewarding than others. Just checked the season total at North Star Caviar. 316 as of days end May 6th. Only 21 fish came in today. Bad news if you were playing the odds for May 6th. Good news if you are still considering a trip to Williston. 684 opportunities left, what do you think Levi? Should we?

Greg Schoneck for ND Live

More videos at HSOshow.com™