• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

99 Johnson 115 rebuild and VRO disconnect

Jaspernuts

Looking for some opinions on the Johnson VRO system. Im currently getting my engine rebuilt. Had a cracked ring on one piston all others look good but I'm doing all 4 while in there. Carbs rebuilt and waterpump replaced. Shop asked if I wanted a new VRO with the rebuild even though there are no signs of scoring. Its 400 for a new pump and even a new one could go out in a few years. I decided I have no problem pre-mixed my fuel and then I never have to worry about blowing my newly rebuilt engine. Anybody have any opinons on this or have had trouble with the VRO?

When I was used boat shopping almost every used rude or johnson was adapted to the pre-mix way because of multiple pump failures. I would do it,,buys a lot of peace of mind. Out of curiosity did they give you a ballpark estimate on what the rebuild will cost??

I found a shop with great pricing. $975 out the door for 4 cylinders with new pistons, rings, etc. Carbs rebuilt also. Other shop in my area wanted 1700 for a rebuld and one guy wanted to put a powerhead in for 3k.

Thanks Marine Man, I did some research and this generation of pump is pretty reliable. I just can't justify spending 400 dollars on a part that I "might" need. Im going to pre-mix for now and my local dealer stated they could test the pump later after I return from a Leech trip.

Spend the money. How much will that $400 cost if you don't put it in and you need it?

The VRO issues everyone talks about where the older style, the style you have is pretty bulletproof. Think of it this way, if it lasted 11 years and worked just fine, why think a new pump won't last another 11 years?

On the other hand, if it's a 99, it'll probably be ok and keep working just fine...

As a some what non-related issue, was the root cause for the cracked ring identified & resolved as part of the rebuild?

marine_man

The only cause of failure for the ring we can point to is that at some point the engine was apart before and one piston was redone. When the powerhead was resealed the wrong RTV was used and there was a fuel leak (the block was wet with fuel). Do you think that could have caused it Marine Man? Shop states all other components look great. I figure with the pistons, waterpump, and carbs all done along with pre-mixing I should have all the bases covered.

If you are taliking about the crankcase halves, Gel-Seal should have been used. If that seal fails, it will cause an air leak will, in most cases, burn off the exhaust side of the piston.

Newer VRO's are very reliable. What most do not understand is that if it quits pumping oil, it also quits pumping gas thus the engine will not run.

Well, nothing's guaranteed, but if it were me, I'd probably leave it, especially if I didn't have $400 laying around. It's of an era that there are a lot of motors in use around the world, with very little failure issues that are noted in this era.

marine_man