• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Carpet Replacment Alumacraft Boat

juniordo1

I just bought a new non-current 2005 Alumacraft Fisherman 145CS. The boat has some carpet that needs replacing and Alumacraft will be providing the carpet and I have to provide my own labor.

The boat is only carpeted on the front deck and on the sides where the livewell and storage areas are. The rest of the floor is vinyl coated.

The carpet appears to have been glued on and then the decking was attached to the boat using screws (countersunk) so all of the screw heads are exposed. Can anyone comment on this being/not being the installation method? Is it possible the screw heads weren't always showing and only show now as a result of weathering?

The vinyl coated decking is absolutely attached through the vinyl.

My question is - Should I should install new carpet over screws or remove decking, apply carpet, and re-attach decking by putting screws through carpet?

This is my first Alumacraft, my others have been Smokercrafts. I have never seen a screw head through the carpet in any past boat.

All input will be appreciated!

Yes, screws are normal to go through carpet. Once you put carpet down, then just put screws back in and they will essentially be flush. You can also get SS washers that are sort of "humped" not sure the name of them, but they fisnish the screws of a bit if you don't like the normal screw look.