• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing floor in aluminum boat

Roman_K

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I am wondering what is the type of plywood I should be using for flooring in an aluminum boat? I know my dad has some green treated plywood laying around but I heard that I shouldnt be using that. Looking for some recommendations from the pros on this site smile

thanks in advance!

i would stay away from the stores like menards to get marine plywood... i did a remodel of my 16 ft aluminum lund last winter, and needed 3 sheets of marine plywood for the project... menards wanted $98 per 4x8 sheet of plywood... i went to a local lumber yard in duluth and got it for $45 a sheet. i would recommend searching local lumber yards before going to menards unless you dont mind paying double markup

wow menards must have come down in their pricing. i bet it was a different menards too... $45 is a great price for a sheet of 1/2 inch...

Roman-you do not need to do anything to marine plywood before installation.. i just wrapped mine in carpet and installed. i suppose you could paint it with a primer/sealant type of deal if you wanted but i dont think it is necessary

I did a rebuild of my Lund 16' 4 yrs ago. I used green treat and covered it with vinyl. It has been awesome, easy cleanup and doesn't stay wet like the old carpet did. No problems with corrosion yet.

I believe there have been different types of green treated over the last 10 years. Some of it is corrosive to aluminum but maybe not all of it. I would do a google search and find out exactly what is what. You might save some money over buying marine plywood. You could also use regular plywood and the resin/glue you use to put the carpet on will seal the wood also.

I am in the middle of redoing my boat right now and everything I heard and read says to use spar varnish. It is kind of costly at 30 bucks a gallon. I also have read that it should be spar varnish and not spar urethane as urethane hardens and may crack were varnish does not harden

anyone know a good way of removing old carpet glue from aluminum? I tore out the old carpet and am now left with a lot of gunk. I have been going at it with a chisel but am wondering if there is a faster way of doing this?

anyone know a good way of removing old carpet glue from aluminum? I tore out the old carpet and am now left with a lot of gunk. I have been going at it with a chisel but am wondering if there is a faster way of doing this?

Use a heat gun and a steel scraper it should come off but will take a little bit of work but the surface will be clean and flat so when you lay down your new carpet it will look good.