• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Helicoil

Hookmaster

Last night I started my 20-year old Craftsman lawn mower (20 or 22 inch self-propelled) on the first pull after sitting over the winter. While I was cutting some deep grass (courtesy of the dog) it was laboring and spit the plug. How much does it cost to put in a helicoil if I do it myself? What tools are needed to do this? I may just buy another small push mower since all I use this for is trimming certain areas my rider can’t get into. I have definitely gotten my moneys worth from this one.

A complete kit with tap, drill and helicoil could be over $30. I think the ones we sell are even more then that. Regardless, a new cylinder head for that machine might only be $25-35. If that's the case, don't even screw around with the helicoil, get a new head.

I used a a Heli-coil repair on my sons dirtbike about 3 years ago. It might be cheaper because your thread could be standard and it is sold as a complete kit for one shot. My sons Honda was a metric small sized thread. I had to buy a complete shop type kit which ran about $60-$70 dollars.

He is pulling and seating the plug all the time and has had no issues. In my case it was either $150-$200 for a used head and about a day or so of installing it in my spare time, or $70 and about 10 minutes. It was an easy choice. wink

If it came to a blown spark plug in your daily driver vehicle I would pass on any Heli-Coil, but instead use an insert style thread replacement.

I guess as far as what your final outcome should be, only you my friend can answer that. grin If we are talking a push mower, the newness of a new push mower lasts about 2 mows. Then at that point you are thinking the $50 (+/-) to fix the old one might not have been all that bad.

Good luck! smile