• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 115 hp 4-stroke again

WyoChris

I have a Yamaha 115 HP 4-Stroke on my Lund Mr Pike. I've been having a electrical problem. The main engine battery keeps dying and I end up having to use my trolling motor batteries to start the engine and get back to the launch. Usually, it dies, I bring the battery home, charge it up on my trickle charger, then can hit the lake for 2 or 3 more days before it dies again. I utilize the main power button to ensure no fish finders/electronics are draining the battery when the engine isn't on. I brought my battery to the auto parts store, twice, and they tell me the battery is fine.

Bottom line - my regulator/alternator isn't re-charging the main battery. Has anyone else had this problem with these motors?

It seems like I will have to replace or fix the regulator. Has anyone ever done this before? Is this difficult to do?

I'm tempted to bring it to the dealer to get fixed. However, they are so backed up this time of year and I can't afford to spend a weekend off the lake. I just can't stop fishing. I'm in Kentucky and all the seasons are open year round so im having a blast right now. However, i'm driving back to MN for the opener and want to make sure im set for that weekend. What do you think my best approach is?

Thanks

Chris

It sure sounds like you're correct... you have a charging issue.

I'd put a multimeter on your battery and measure the voltage before starting the motor, then measure the voltage after the motor is running above 1/2 throttle. If the rise in voltage isn't more than a volt or two then I would definitely agree, you've got a rectifier or stator issue.

If it's the rectifier it's not a real big deal.. some wires to disconnect, etc but it's manageable. If it's the stator it's a little more work, namely removing the flywheel, but not too bad.

marine_man