• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

replacing bench seats

DarthBaiter

I have an older lund and need to replace some of the bench seats. Do I have to use marine plywood even if I plan on putting carpet over them or can I use regular plywood or green treated?? Has anyone done this and offer any advice? Does the foam within the bench ever need replacing?

I recently replaced seat bench tops on my old Lund using 1/2 inch MDO plywood, sometimes known as signboard, which has a smooth resin impregnated facing. I believe this is what the seats were originally made from (in 5/8 inch), and it seems to hold up well. All exterior ply has waterproof glues, but fir plywood checks and cracks badly, even when painted. I don't like treated ply because other than being treated it seems to be poor quality and is probably not the best on aluminum. I personally see no reason to carpet bench tops as it will hold moisture and accelerate decomposition. Most people sit on a cushion or boat seat anyway.

I covered bench seats with vinyl when I redid a duck hunting boat a few years ago. It works great. I just used treated for that boat, and while it works I will only use true marine plywood for any future boat needs (any treated can be used if it is not in direct contact with alum). Smoother, doesn't warp, you don't need to do anything to it at all. A bit more costly, but just works the way I want it to.

But I am also a vinyl fan after doing several rehab jobs, as the carpet traps water and keeps it in direct contact with floor/seats/etc. and vinyl repells it, and it is easier to clean, and I think looks better. I use Dot Deco.

Thanks guys for the tips. You're right, carpet would be a bad idea and I think I'll stay away from green treated wood and either go with marine plywood, where does one buy that at? Or sign board as you suggested turtleboy.

i would try and contact a local lumber supplier for marine plywood and not menards if i was you. i did a boat project last winter and needed to buy 2 sheets of marine plywood (one 1/2", one 5/8") and i got them for $45/each from a local lumber supplier. i called menards are they wanted $95/each for the same plywood. just a thought to consider

Don't be fooled or talked into using "pressure treated"!!! It is the worst possible choice!!

There are MANY different grades of plywood, marine and otherwise. It's categorized by the number of layers and the grade of surface finish. As an example, one of the surface grades would be "cabinet grade" of maple (veneer) used by Lund for the original bench seats.

I too have wondered where to buy the material that is "on par" with the original seats and restore the original look. (I'll be doing mine later this Spring) I'm not interested in saving a buck, I want the stuff that's going to last!! (My Lund is 35 years old)

My guess is that it will be at least $100/ sheet of 4' X 8', 5 or 7 layer, 5/8" thick, marine grade, maple veneer on at least one side. The seats help to stabilize the shape and add rigidity.

I learned ALL about plywood when I was working with the larger boat manufacturers trying to replace plywood, in production with alternative materials. Not for seats but in transoms. All plywood is NOT created equal!!

Your mileage may vary! This is just my $0.02.

MDO plywood at most lumber yards including menards is the original material and not too expensive, smooth faced, can be painted or varnished,very stable, and holds up well. I have used it before on boat parts. I used 1/2 inch because the 5/8 inch had to be special ordered and I didn't want to wait. I expect it to hold up well. Agreed that there are all different types and grades of marine plywood. I would not use fir marine ply because it checks and cracks on the surface veneer unless you are going to cover it with fiberglass or something.