• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hydrostatic transmission

MAB

I just bought a beater rider that has a hydrostatic transmission it is a MTD.

Does anyone have any ideas about why it will not go up a hill? I checked there is no way to check the fluid leval or add fluid. Thanks

You may want to check the transmission belt. It runs from the engine pulley back to the top of the transmission. If it's slipping then the hyrdo is not getting enough revolutions on the pulley keep it pumping (driving). If the belt looks good/tight and isn't slipping the trans is probably junk. These are sealed units and usually not serviceable. Replacement would be far greater than the value of the machine.

MAB,

I had the same problem and like stated in the prior post my belt was slightly stretched and would cause the machine to lose power under a load like trying to go up my septic mound. New belt and all is good.

Z

Quote:
These are sealed units and usually not serviceable. Replacement would be far greater than the value of the machine.

usually is a key word. grin

I had a similar issue with a mid 90's Montgomery Wards (I thought same thing as a MTD, red) and it would only just buck and jerk before giving out/slipping when going up any incline. After checking the trans drive belt I contacted a couple local hardware stores and repair facilities who sell parts & repair lawn mowers & tractors. The first 4 or 5 told me it was a sealed trans-axle, only sold a reman or new, and could only be replaced. I could see bolts that held the front part of the housing in place. I also wondered how the could sell a reman or even make a new one if it is truly sealed. grin

In the end a local hardware store in Princeton (Marve's) had a great guy (Bob) who pointed me in the direction to an even better guy, who knew exactly what the solution to my concern was and even part numbers. I ordered up the parts, removed the trans-axle, replaced the valve of sorts, and was back in business for under $20 and my time. wink

Replacement is about $500. I just replaced mine two years ago and found the replacement transmission online.

If the rest of the mower is in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's either $500 for a transmission or $1,200 for a new mower.

Thank's for the responses everyone. I will try the belt first and go from there. I really don't know much about the mower but thought it may need a new belt, the guy I bought it from didn't do much but run it it looks like.

Thanks again.

There should be a take-up pulley that maintains belt tension. There have been times when my belt has managed to come off that pulley and of course it wasn't held tight so I got nowhere.