• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Handle replacement

I broke the fore grip of a handle on a rod and was wondering if someones could help me. How do I replace the entire handle or maybe just the foregrip? If I knew a place I would take it to them but I dont. In full disclosure, its literally a $20 rod. $19.99 Rapala Sportsmen IM-6. Thanks for any help.

You are going to have to remove the old handle. Usually boiling it will release the glue. It will most likely ruin the butt section but you can salvage the reel seat. To replace the handle section you will need to make sure the hole in the cork handle sections will fit over the largest part of the butt section of the blank, you more than likely have to drill/ream/file out the bore to allow it to fit. Then you will need to build up the blank using masking or sheet rock tape to set the handle, one note you will need make sure you completely seal the tape or you will have some problems.

Between the cost for the cork and the work going into it, lot of money for a $19.99 rod. But that is a way you could do it.

Normally there are at least 3 separate pieces. The foregrip, the seat, and the rear grip. Yeah, it is a lot of work. I am not sure I would go through that kind of effort for an off the shelf rod, especially a cheaper one.

Northlander is right in this case I would probably just buy a new one. The cork alone would cost you about 12 - 15 bucks anyway.