• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

problem with 25hp johnson

Crappie_J

Hi, I have a 98 25hp johnson outboard that has been having a little trouble starting lately and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is wrong with it. When I get to the lake it always starts right up, but maybe one time in five after that it just won't start at all. It typically happens when I drive for 15 minutes to a spot then fish for 30-45 minutes and then try to start it. It has also stopped running when accelerating and slowing down on a couple occasions. Thanks in advance for any advise.

What are your starting procedures in each scenario? Cold starting and warm starting will be different in that choking or priming may not be neccesary when the engine is warm or you may flood the engine.

One of the first things that came to mind was you may have an air leak some where in the gas line. This could explain not starting (not getting enough fuel to the float bowl) and dying out (sucking air and the engine is essentially running out of gas).

Check all fuel line connections and repalce any hoses or clamps that may even be close to being suspect. Check spark plugs and wires.

I start it the same wether its cold or hot. I don't choke it at all when I start it and it almost always starts right up, like within less than a second of turning the key. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor last year so I don't think that is the problem. The plugs were new last year and the wires look pretty good still. could it be something temperature related?

Boatfixer had a great suggestion with the air leak. I didn't think of that. You mentioned that it occasionally dies or loses power while running, right? What about a dirty filter or obstructed fuel line. Also, is there a fuel filter on the line inside the fuel tank that could be clogged? I've also heard of people having trouble with the check valves in the bulb in the line getting stuck and restricting fuel flow.

I have 96 Rude 25hp. Mine was slowly running like carp, so last year I rebuilt the carb (and after putting the float in the correct way, doh!) it is running like a champ. I swear it almost runs as good as my Merc wink But I would totally recommend taking the carb off and cleaning it good, and while you are at it, might as well put a new carb kit in. It is really pretty easy, the hardest part was taking the starter off due to a couple hard to get at nuts/bolts.

But the leak in fuel line could be it, I thought mine was that but it just needed carb job. Good luck, the guys here helped me thru my issues smile