• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tying fur on bucktails

I am currently working on building my own bucktails and inline spinners. Everything is going well until I get to tying the fur onto the wire. Anyone have any tips,tricks or suggestions to the tying part that could make it easier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

it takes some practice for sure. The bigest tip i have is to make sure all your hair is the same length at the end you are tieing.. Otherwise you will have a lot that falls out. dont be afraid to over wrap or use more wraps that you thing to get the job done. If putting on a lot like in a buck tail, do it in side, one side first then the other, rather than all at once. Try to keep the tension when you are tying consistant.

deerhair is next to impossible if you don't have any previous fly tying experience. if deerhair is really the material you want to tie with any simple manual on flytying 101/deerhair will help you tremendously.

other materials like flashaboo and marabou are much easier to tie. browse the local tackle shop and check out a few bucktails to see the different ways of doing it and you'll have no problem going home and replicating that.

as a general rule, don't try to tie too much on at once.

Are you using a hair stacker or just cutting bunches off and tying it? Using a hair stacker will make tying easier and it will come out looking better.

It's basically just a metal tube you put the clipped hair into and tap it a couple times and then all the hair tips are the same level. Some GMs have them, The Big C has them. Any fly shop will have them, thought they may be the smaller ones for trout flies.

Like 50IP said, it's not the easiest thing to start out doing and a manual or better yet, a person who's got experience tying it would help a ton.

Here’s what I do to make it a little easier. First, only use the bucktail hair, and not body hair. The body hair is hollow and will flare when you cinch it down, The bottom of the bucktail also contains some of the hollow hair. Second, when you cut a bunch, hold it in one hand and pull any fuzz or short strands off the cut end. That lessens the bulk somewhat. Third, use a strong thread, like rod winding thread or Kevlar. Last, as was already mentioned, tie in small batches and don’t try the whole thing at once. Post a picture when you get a good one. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. After reading what you guys had to say, I may have to change to flashaboo to make things easier. Will try to post pics. Will be a few days though before I start to try tying. thanks again.