• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marking Territory

ESmith

Here's one thats "fun". When I say "fun" I mean embarrassing as the owner.

Young dog has taken to peeing on everything he can find, "just like the older dogs." Monkey see, monkey do. Except this monkey is doing it to people at the dog park. Not sure if he thinks a stationary person is a tree or what, but sure enough once in a while up comes the leg and he'll "mark" the unlucky person.

By the time I can correct him, its already done, and I don't think the dog is making the connection.

Apart from an E-collar, I don't know how else to correct him away from doing this. Other than not going to the dog park at all. I'd hate to lose that resource on such a high energy dog.

Say goodbye to his little friends!

If he's already doing it, it would be unlikely that removing his berries would stop it. I've seen neutered dogs do the same thing.

I don't know what to tell you. Our boy is a squatter, which I have encouraged with a small nudge in the butt which my foot when he tries to mark.

I figured the parts removal idea would come up. I swear I'm the only person on the planet who wants to keep him intact at least for a little while. According to several trainers (who lets keep in mind work with and train hundreds of dogs in their careers) have told me that neutering is not the end all be all of dog remedies.

Maybe not dogs, but I grew up with various types of livestock. Creatures definitely develop differently with and without their fun parts. Cannot convince me otherwise. Nor could you convince the Animal Science professors at Iowa State University for that matter.

Anyway, Tango is 9mos old. He'll lift his lag on almost anything that stands vertical from the ground. If he's on flat ground, he's now doing an awkward half leg raise, and half squat to pee. That part is hilarious, and you can clearly see he doesn't know what he's really doing. Even when he marks, sometimes he doesn't realize his tank is empty, but he still does it.

I'll remain on the search on this one. The big thing I worry about, is taking him to a friend's house. The new house is also "territory to be marked" in his mind. I won't visit with my dog if he does that. Which sucks.

I figured the parts removal idea would come up. I swear I'm the only person on the planet who wants to keep him intact at least for a little while. According to several trainers (who lets keep in mind work with and train hundreds of dogs in their careers) have told me that neutering is not the end all be all of dog remedies.

I agree with you. Although you should neuter if you're not showing/breeding, I think 1 year is a good time. That way the majority of their growth is done. Testosterone is what closes their growth plates.

Originally Posted By: ESmith

I agree with you. Although you should neuter if you're not showing/breeding, I think 1 year is a good time. That way the majority of their growth is done. Testosterone is what closes their growth plates.

Yep. Although I think the smaller dogs can be done sooner as they tend to "mature" quicker than large dogs in very general terms. But that is only a guess based on my own version of common sense. I don't think anyone is doing a working dog any favors by taking its parts away at less than a year old. I'd even be inclined to go 18 months to 2 years if I had my way. But I may not get my way.