• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

STrib - Legal fish?

OK you regs readers, is the fish featured in today's Star Tribune a legal fish? The guy first tried to net it, that failed, so he plucked it from the water by hand.

It was a northern choking on a big sucker, but it was still alive, and it is a game fish. The Wis regs are specific -- it would be illegal in Wis.

It's no big deal, and I'm not suggesting he be fined or anything -- I'm just curious.

That was the first thing I thought of too when a co-worker read me the article this morning. I have a sneaky feeling that was why he said he grabbed it along with stating it wouldn't fit into the net? Most likely still not legal but I doubt anything will come of it!

Guess what? I stopped at the DNR building at the State Fair yesterday and asked the COs at the regulations desk for an opinion on the manner in which the publicized fish was "caught." I did not get a definitive answer.

The two I talked with did not, or could not give me an answer as to whether it was a legal fish. One said: "We'd probably have to look in the statutes."

The 2002 Fishing Regulations we got when we purchased current licenses does not address the issue.

I reviewed the 2002 Mn. regs and could not find anything that addressed this directly or indirectly. The only net info was for smelt.
Just for the heck of it I opened a copy of Websters Ninth Collegiate dictionary. The definition of fishing is "The sport or business of catching fish." The definition of a fish-net is " netting fitted with floats and weights or a supporting frame for catching fish." This could make a very interesting court case for lawyers to determine what is legal.
Dino

I've seen photos/know of someone who had this same thing happen with a muskie which choked on a 4lb walleye. The Musky was dying and struggliing for life, but there was nothing anyone could do to save it. The fins of the walleye cut the inside of the musky's mouth, throat and the fish was really suffering.
The fish was over 50", people who found it just completed a day casting for ski's when they stumbled across it. They kept the fish.
What's wrong with "catching" a fish like this with your bare hands? I don't think you'll find anything in MN statutes that will tell you different. I don't think the netting thing can stand because it wasn't like a gill net or anything like that...

Pretty soon the cost of licenses are going up to compensate the printing costs of the "law" books for all of us to understand the finest details!

Statutory definitions are not taken from Webster's Dictionary, nor is the word "catching" the same as "angling."

Wisconsin regs state if very simply. A legal catch is taken by hook in the mouth. A foul-hooked fish must be released. And, it is not legal to net sportfish or to take them by hand.

Sportfish should be protected. Even the one pictured in the Star Tribune might conceivably have ultimately swallowed the sucker and survived. I've known of pike taking much bigger prey than a 1.5 lb sucker. In fact, I've used 18 inch suckers for bait when I fished for big pike years ago with live bait.

However, I still find it strange that even two COs assigned to the State Fair to answer questions about regulations could not answer my question as to whether it was a legal catch.

Yet, the DNR deems it necessary to print: "The use of explosives, firearms, chemicals (not including fish scents), or electricity for taking fish is unlawful."

Many have had the same question, and sundays strib confirmed: NOT a Legal catch. Taking fish by hand is not legal...apparently even taking dead fish....prevents people from 'picking up' spawning fish in the streams...noodling for catfish is also prohibited in MN.

interesting quandry...

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598