• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Algae stain on fiberglass

srj

You guys with white glass boats--what have you found to work best to remove the slight green tint that appears after your boat spends lots of time in the water? Lake of the Woods gets rather colored by the end of summer and my Yarcraft does too.

Thanks for any comments.

Guys at the NAPA recommended 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound to me last fall when I talked to them about what to use. It takes lots of elbow grease to really make the hull shine because your are essentially pulling the stains out of the porous surface of the hull but it does a great job of cleaning things up. Just make sure you get the white compound as they make different colors and the guys told me that using a colored compound on the white hull could work against me.

Wonderfoam and Restore. Use Wonderfoam to get rid of your green stain, and then periodically apply the Restore polish to keep the shine.

As far as I know they are only available online. They work great and will have your boat looking like new.

I will probably try Wonderfoam and Restore. Lots of products on the shelves in stores, all claiming greatness. The only thing that has worked well to this point is a very fine rubbing/finishing compound.....lots of elbow grease.

Thanks for the replies.

i was at the power lodge in brainerd last fall a guy was cleaning a nasty hull he said he thought he would get it pretty clean

i have a white boat its 3 yrs old i was going to bring it to him this fall and have him shine it up before it got to bad

no clue what he useing or charging

when i was there he actually using a power washer not sure if he just rinsing or spraying something on

i just asked if he thought he could get it all off cuz it was so nasty lookin

if got that even half way clean my thinking thinkin was a trip there every 2 yrs would be well worth it