• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

webpage question

Hello all! it's been a while since I've had time to goof off on the internet,, figured I'd swing by here and lookit some pics, and ask a question whilst I was here. I'm trying to build a webpage, but wondered what to do about making my images "secure"

my first run was my "© with name" across the entire image and brought the opacity down, but I am finding that it takes away from the image.

my second run is a smallish © in the image towards the bottom..

any thoughts on this sure would be helpful

Sue

In the US, a photograph is protected by copyright the moment it is taken. The trick is to preventing un-authorized use from those who dont respect these laws.

On my web page, a SmugMug template, you cannot right click to copy or save the images. If you try, it will present a message explaining why you cant. You might consider something like that on your page - then there is no need for an ugly copyright watermark on every image, plus it saves you the work of adding it.

If you plan to post an image in a forum like this one, just post a lower resolution version. There isnt much damage someone can do with your images if it is low-res...they cant sell it and they cant reproduce it. SmugMug provides the owner with links to share each image at one of 7 different sizes.

Im not a professional, so I dont have the same stake in my images as others on this forum might since my income isnt dependent on what I photograph, but I feel like what I do protects my images enough for me.

If its on the internet...it can be taken. It is just that simple. Screen shots, screen capture any number of things can be used. Right click protection is OK for someone who isn't to savy but it is relatively easy to by pass that as well. The best advice is as Outlaw says, just upload low resolution shots, mine are usually less than 100-200kb.

Outlaw shoot me an e-mail, dbleitch at aol dot com Just some info for you.

Thats true, but to get resolution worth keeping, they would have to be able to select the largest viewing size (which they cant do) and stitch together multiple frames. This will keep away all but the most dedicated thieves.

Im just not that worried about it - if someone wants my images that badly, which they probably dont, they can have them. Like I said, Im not a pro so your needs may vary.

There would be no need to take a screen shot. Anything you can see on your monitor from a webpage has already been downloaded to your computer. If you load the high resolution in browser and then look in the temp folder the image will be there.

I think if someone wants a picture they will get it, where there is a will there is a way. Probably the only sure way to protect a picture is not to put it out there.

You can do something about people using your image without your consent.

You can register your image with the copyright office after it has been used too.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you!]