• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing wheel bearings- trailer brakes

Rost

The old boat did not have trailer brakes.

Now I a dealing with hubs that look like this...

p001978hz021.jpg

Questions before I begin.

1. After removing the bearing buddy, will I find the hex nut similar to my old hubs?

2. It looks like I will have to remove the brake lines from, do I have to bleed these after I put them back on?

Any other advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

after the cap/bearing buddy is removed ther should be a hex nut with a cotter pin on the end of the axle stub, behind that should be two bearings and maybe some shims.

are you replacing drum brakes or adding these where there were no brakes to begin with? i assume you are talking about surge brakes, so if you take the brake line apart you will have to bleed all the air out when you put it back together. i have never tryed to bleed trailer brakes but i would imagine you are going to need one of those brake bleading pumps to pull the brake fluid through the lines back to the caliper.

Don;t forget to put a shut off valve between the master cylinder and the wheel break, to back up in soft sand or up hill the surge break will compress and the trailer breaks will be on. If this happens close the valve.