• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing (swiming)

Comit 2

In the regulation it says.

Harpoons (spears) must have a tethered line not more then 20 feet long, may be discharged only when the equipment and the operator are entirely under the surface of the water, and may not be used within 1,000 feet of a swimming beach.

Does this mean if you are swimming with a mask and snorkel (skin diving) in 8fow you would have to go 2-3" deeper to shoot? How would the DNR know if the shot was made during a dive or not?

I would like to take some rough fish skin diving this summer. The law seems to say if you are not SCUBA diving you can be breaking the law.

Comit I would recommend that you try skin diving and spearing.

I have been doing this from time to time since our family moved back to MN after living in Hawaii in the mid 70s. I use a double band spear gun and have speared taken some big carp in the metro this way. They are great for the garden.

You can start when the water is warm enough for you to swim (usually around Memorial day). Hit the emergent weed lines for schools of big fish early, or lay in the shallows when they come in to spawn in June. It is fun to pick out the big ones.

You can pick up a lot of snagged fishing lures off the bottom and view a lot of nice game fish as well. Plus no sharks here to bother you!