• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 115 hp Maintenance

WyoChris

I have a 2007 115 hp Yamaha. I bought it about a year ago. I currently live down here in Ft Campbell, KY and use my boat year-round and do not winterize it.

Since i don't winterize it, what type of maintenance do you recommend on this engine? There are a lot of things in the manuel to do.... but are they all really necessary? Is changing the oil every 6 months enough? Does anyone recommend doing anything else than changing the oil?

Easy rule of thumb on oil changes is once a year or every 100 hours. It depends on how much you use it. Some guys on here like Northlander, who use their boat nearly every day, abide by the 100 hour rule or sooner.

You should change the gear lube on the same schedule. Check periodically for water in the lower unit. Spark plugs typically once a year, again, depending on usage.

If you have a water separating fuel filter, change that about once a year depending on conditions of the gas.

Yamaha makes a product called Ring Free that can be used continuously at a ratio of 1 oz to 10 gallons for regular use and for a "de-carboning treatment" they suggest 2 oz to every 1 gallon of gas. You should change oil and filter however after a de-carboning treatment.

Other than that, just going over the control cables and steering cable and other moving parts looking for worn or loose parts will keep you on the water worry free.

I change oil every 100 hrs at least and do the lower unit, plugs, oil filter and grease zirts. I also run nothing but premium gas and do the shock treatment once a summer now. Like boatfixer said change plugs after that shock treatment. I make sure to do the shock treatment right before Im due for a oil change.