• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

94 Artic Cat Prowler starting issues

kudu63

My 94 EFI Prowler has intermittent starting issues. It seems that it could be flooding at times as plugs are wet. Most times it don't fire but there is spark (checked with light). I have bypassed the kill switch with a jumper cable. I even put in a new battery as the original was weak. It will run fine for weeks and then problem re-appears. It wouldn't start on Sunday and tried yesterday and it started on first pull. Let it run for about 20 minutes and then tried again a hour later and wouldn't start. Any ideas?

I have a 94 Prowler 2-up that was doing the same thing at the start of this season. Although, mine would only run well for a couple of hours then sputter and eventually kill. I have two batteries, so everytime it would kill, I would just change the battery out and then it would work great again. The battery was not charging while the motor was running.

Turns out there was a fuse that was badly curoded. It was not burned out, just very curoded. I replaced the fuse and it fixed the problem.

It was an in-line fuse in a yellow casing near the battery. Follow the wires I believe from the positive side of the battery and you should find it. Maybe you have the same problem.

Thanks Pete, I will take a look at it. Where exactly is this ECU located? I'm assuming it is not the EFI module?

Yes, the EFI module, if you will. The led should be located on the front edge. You will need to be looking at it when you turn the key on.

Ok, so I see the LED and when I turn on the key there is one quick flash and that is it? I tried starting it and it don't even seem to fire. Any ideas? Thanks,

Okay, if you may have a low battery condition. 1.)Remove and charge battery 2.)Test battery for complete charge. 3.) Check all fuses 4.) Check for wire chaffing (I have seen this in the wire bundle beneath the EFI module) 5.)Replace battery and do the led check again.

So I took the battery out and put on a charger and it made no difference. I'm kind of ruling out the battery being it is brand new and has like 12.4v on it. I know someone that has a 95 Prowler and his LED flashes one time like mine when he turns on the key. Lucky I have a buddy who is more knowledgeable them I am on this and he took a look at it last night. He believes the issue is the throttle to kill switch assembly on the handle bar. I guess there is a two position switch - one at idle and another when the throttle lever is engaged. One of these must make contact before the sled will start. In looking at the throttle it appears that there is a nipple that might be missing that engages a switch in the idle position. I won't have time this weekend to confirm that but will post back what I find out. We did try to hold the throttle lever up so it would make contact and it did fire but would not start now - most likely due to the fact that we had it flooded pretty bad.

The throttle position sensor you are talking about can be bypassed with the jumper in your tool kit. That is if someone didn't throw it away or lose it. There is a two pin plug on the steering column wire bundle. This plug will bypass the TPS and the kill switch. NOTE: You will have to shut off the sled by the key only.

Is there something on these sleds that charges the battery when riding, like an altenator? If my 95 EXT sits for a week, the battery will be too weak for it to start. Is there something I need to replace or can a guy put some kind of battery dis-connect on?

Thanks, Tully