• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crate training

Ballyhoo

How long before the dog should willingly go into the crate? English springer that is almost 7 mo. She spends nights and during the day in it without making a fuss but I still have to bribe her to get her in there. She won't go in there on her own. Just wondering if this is normal. I don't remember how long it took with my lab but she had a different arrangement in a different house.

I have an 18 mo. old female yellow lab that still does a pretty good job stalling...sitting down 2 ft from the entrance on occasions and needing a little enforcement to go in.

My 8 yr old lab loved going in the crate.

I think it is dog personallity related, maybe age.

As long as she doesn't run and play tag with you when its time to crate, you will probably be ok and it will be something the dog will accept.

A little treat encouragement might be alright, but try to stay away from rewarding too often. They should obey you for your command, not for your reward.

Does the dog spend to much time in the crate? That could also factor in.

The old tried and true meathod I use is simple. Dont give the dog treets for everything. In fact nothing. A mitt full of dog food works fine, and its cheap. if you get the dog on a feeding schedule every day with no table scraps or treats.Make the dog hup to get fed, then after a bit, coaks her in the kennel for it, no food till you go in the kennel. At first you may have to lean on her a little. Then religiously feed the dog in there. If you make her kennel each time, she will start to rocket in. Pluss kennel rides offten for a run some where. If they have food or fun related to the crate all the time, when you go kennel later on, the dog will go in quick. Worked for me for years and on every dog. Pluss it's simple as it gets. Thats a positive aproach. If a dog is realy stuborn, the above with a ear pinch to establish I am the boss should do it.

Dont give the dog treets for everything. In fact nothing. A mitt full of dog food works fine, and its cheap.

Yep.

It's crazy what they get for dog treats. You can easily spend $10 or more a pound. That's nuts!

What I use for a "treat" is simply a quality brand of dog food with a large kibble size. I buy it in a small bag and keep a plastic jar full of it.

The only other thing he gets is the large Kirkland dog biscuits from Costco. I think they get $15 for 10#. He gets one when I put him up for the night, and when he sees me reaching for them, he races for the crate.

Springers can be that way - they just want to hang out with the Master too much. My Springer gets a little balky - when we were out training, he wouldn't jump into the kennel in my truck unless I dragged him there. One of the guys I trained with said "Use a little more force in your voice" - then he did it and Maynard jumped right in. So I use a little force when I'm out training. At home - I can usually con him with a scratch and some smooth talk.

Hmmm - why did that not work with women?

Breed doesn't matter, sorry...

you have 4 things to train a dog.

1. Food

2. Motivation for a toy

3. Handler praise

4. Force

For a puppy use food, not force, does nothing productive for your relationship.

As said in other posts, feed in the crate, give a treat once IN the crate not before unless just starting out. One of my dogs in 2.5 years old and still gets treats for going in..most of the time. Make the crate fun not a punishment tool, if used that way...good luck, they will never like it. Always put'em up on a high note.

Both my GSD's run for the crate when I say crate.

another thing that is nice to do is not let the dog bolt out of the crate when the door is opened...it is annoying and potentially dangerous. I always us a "wait" command and released to come out with "OK", my puppy I make lie down or sit before she is realesed out of the crate.

Quote:
Both my GSD's run for the crate when I say crate.

another thing that is nice to do is not let the dog bolt out of the crate when the door is opened...it is annoying and potentially dangerous. I always us a "wait" command and released to come out with "OK", my puppy I make lie down or sit before she is realesed out of the crate.

This is where I find myself at with our 7mo GSP puppy. At first the crate training was just this side of brutal. I was concerned about separation anxiety. Our dog is extremely family oriented, and loves being right by our side.

Still though, he's a boy, and as he should, he loves food and water more than anything. He will 90% of the time run right in his kennel now, and you'll see nothing but his nose poke out the entrance as he waits for a treat. Now, he does not get a treat every time he's crated, only occasionally. I don't think a dog should get a treat 100% of the time he does something right. But at first, you'll want to do it just about every time the dog does what you want.

I also encourage, teaching the dog to "stay" on command as its been a huge help, and we've done this completely with his feeding and crate. When you feed the dog, make it sit/lay down, and stay, as your present the food/water/treat. You can make them stay longer and longer as you go, and the ability to make your dog "stay" is priceless at times. When releasing from the kennel, he's told to stay for X amount of time, then "all right" releases him from stay, and he comes on out. Don't let him move on any sound but the release command. I was surprised to see how well he can tell the difference between "all right" and anything similar sounding.

Good luck.

I havent seen a bad idea for him here I could have added the same as the above after awhile to mix up rewards. But I wonder how it's going for him. Good Id say if no more asking for help. Looks like you guys will be teaching hunting skills again next.