• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

05 SPORTSMAN 700 EFI INTERMITENT PROBLEM!!

Cowdy

I have an 05 Sportsman 700 efi with tracks that I've encounterd a problem with the last time out on Mille Lacs.

On my way back in, the machine all of a sudden started to backfire through the carb as if it were being governed. This would only happen if I went above ~5000 rpm.

I ran just fine below 5000 rpm. So, I made it back in going !5mph but running fine!

The check engine light came on while all this happend, so when I got home I put it in my heated garage to thaw everything out and check the code.

The code was: 21- "Somthing about synchronization"

But, after I thawed it out, I works just fine?

I remember a posting on here a while back about someone mentioning a "LIMP MODE"? Is that what mine was doing?

Also, I hope someone has an answer for me, because I called a couple Polaris dealers that didn't really know what the problem could have been.

I'm on my way up north (Tuesday) and am a little distrusting of the wheeler right now.

Thanks for all your help!

Cowdy

I would check the free play on the throttle cable, if the throttle cable gets iced up or sticks it will cut the motor like you are talking about, it is a feature to prevent runaways when throttles stick. I know there can only be about 1-2 mm of freeplay in the cable or the safety cutout activates form what I have been told. That would be my guess

If you're running tracks, there's a chance you might be taking snow in through the air box. Watch any video of an ATV with tracks and you'll see a snow storm around the machine.

Also as Kevlaro has stated, there might also be a throttle position sensor acting up.

As far as limp mode, that was more of a Kawasaki thing that also affected Cats that had the Kawi 650 Twin.

Checked cable last night. No slack.

Checked air intake when this all happened and it was fine too.

Anymore help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the mode the wheeler was running in while getting off the lake was called "Fail Safe". Will only run 7-9 mph