• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite fishing line?

juggs

Hello all,

Taking line twists out is easy. Like the previous post stated, all you need to do it remove all tackle off your line (e.g. snaps , hooks, etc.) and unspool the line into the water as you are moving along in your boat. ONce you've unspooled the majority of your line, run for about 30 seconds and begin to wind up the line onto your reel while you are still moving. This will definetely take the twists out.

One trick that you may or may not be aware of when spooling on new line...If you are like me and spool new line onto an open-face reel and you can never remember which direction to face the spool in relation to your reel so you won't receive line twist, here is a simple remedy.

Thread your line through a couple of eyelets on your rod, and tie off onto your spool. Then submerge your spool in a bucket (good sized bucket) of water, or lake and begin to wind onto the reel. You may want to use your fingers to give the line a little tension, so it will not be loosely wound onto your reel. By doing so, the line/spool will correct itself while in the water, and you will not have problems with line twist due to improper spooling.

It really does work!

Bass pro shops Excel is a mono that has never let me down. I have been using it in a variety of #tests since 1993. No line breaks on the cast a-la Trilene, and Stren et al, all at a fraction of the cost. Of course, timely line changes always improve performance.

ps. I once was told by a co-worker, that he hadn't changed line in 5yrs+ and he never had any problems!.................LIAR!!!
JC

Generally I will use a small barrel swivel. Sometimes I will tie a know between the two. Sorry, but I don't know what it is called. It is like linking two snells, one on each line.

On a line related issue--does anyone have problems with loops forming on their line with a spinning reel? I get these every time out and they're a bugger. Can only pull on the line and hope it doesn't knot up, which actually works quite often with Fireline but not mono. Is there a solution for this or is it just part of the plan?

Another Berkley fan.
14 lb. Sensithin on the summer lake trout/ northern rod.
6 lb. Fluorescent green on a small jigging rod.
6 and 8 lb. Tournament strength on the workhorse walleye rod. (Always have an extra spool).
4 lb. Tournament strength on the ultralight (used for finesse walleye jigging).

I was a diehard XL fan for years, but the Tournament Strength is really nice stuff - and looks good too!

Fireline on the baitcasters, Whiplash or Muskybraid on the pool cues, and, dare I say, Cabela's house brand mono on the walleye/panfish/ultralight rods. About 3 years ago, I figured Cabela's doesn't have a monofilament production facility and it must be made by one of the brand names, so I gambled and ordered some. At about $6.00 for 1500 yards (depending on the strength), it doesn't hurt the pocket book to change line a couple of times a year. I've been pleasantly surprised with the stuff. It's tough, resists abrasions well enough, feels and acts like XL. My 2 cts....

Personally I think its a good idea to be comfortable using both superlines and mono...Each has its application and anyone who uses one for everything all the time must not be using too many different techniques. Trilene and Power-Pro for all spinning aplications, P-line and the "old formula" spiderwire or Power-Pro for my baitcasters. Each rod/spool has a time and place it shines. Overall, a good fisherman can use mono in most cases and not loose much performance or hook up ratios. Mono is also alot more forgiving on your fish, and its harder to rip hooks out with the little stretch. Just my 2 cents

I was wondering about spooking fish with the various braids (power pro etc...). Judging by the posts it doesn't seem to be a problem. I have it spooled on two baitcasters and like the feel but if I'm not getting bit I figure they're line shy and switch back to a mono rod. Gotta go with the confidince factor. Obviously I should be giving the braid more chance huh? I'ld really appreciate some feedback on this spooking thing. As far as mono goes, I go with berkley xt 12 on baitcasters, berkley xl 6 on most spinning, and I swear by Magnathin 4 for trout fishing. I've tested it countless times wrapping it around tree limbs and brush. It's dang tough and low diameter/low vis. I've also got Mag 10 on a med. heavy spin rod and love it -- tested on Chequamegon Bay smallies. I hav'nt seen it this year Cabela's or BPS catalogs. Is stren dropping it? If so, death to DuPont. Bought a few spools at Fleet just in case.

Personally, I use super braided lines on my spinning reels and mono on my baitcaster. I heard backlash with super braided is a b!tch
Bass opener this year, a buddy and I were using the same grub bait, the same presentation. I wasn't catching a thing and he was. I had one brand of super braid on one rod. During a break, I strung up the other rod with a darker line and ended up out fishing my buddy by the end of the day, with the same lure and presentation. That was absolutely craziness to me. Now I keep a mono, a dark black line and a light green line available in case they aren't biting on one line, maybe another will work.

Ice Hole,

I've used P-line a little bit and been happy with it, with one major exception. It seems to get quite brittle with not too much use. Once it's brittle it breaks very easily. Have you seen this? For the record, I'm not talking about spooling up in 1999 and complaining when it gets brittle in 2002. It's gotten brittle on me in about a month.
Scoot