• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Puppy behavior

huntwithspringer

any advice, i have 3 springers my youngest is 7 months old every dog has its own persenality the puppy out of the blue just started digging up frozen [PoorWordUsage] (not Fresh) and eating it when trying to get it out of his mouth its become a game for him so i don't chase him, when i have his training collar on him to stimulate him when he does this he is a little angel he's a little angel i know he will out grow and i try to keep up by picking it up on a daily bases but he still finds it.

He'll grow out of it, do you best to keep him away from it in the meantime. It wont hurt him, its just gross.

Dont play into his game either - he is making you chase him because its fun! See how fast I am dad?

The e-collar should only be used when he knows commands inside and out. He should respond reliably 99% of the time in yard training with no distractions before using that e-collar.

He is also learning to dis-obey the e-collar every time you shock him and he keeps running. If he keeps learning he can ignore the collar, its going to take some serious voltage down the road to make him respond. Some check cord training will help, too.

Just re-read your post - sounds like youre already doing a lot of the things I mentioned. As long as you stay consistent with what you are already doing, he should grow out of it soon.

I have a 4 year old that sought out deer turds until she was almost 3...

I had this problem when my lab was about the same age and it drove me insane! I think it was more out of boredom and something to play with. I learned the best alternative is to watch where to the dog does his number and pick it up as often as possible. out of sight out of mind! oh yeah and get some tooth paste and a brush! for the dog that is....

i have been trying to picking it up right away and hope he forgets about this habit i don't think he is bored because he is constantly playing with my other 2 springers, and i never had a problem with them i wander if the my other 2 springer are thing from the old cheek and chong line "smell like dog s#*%, Taste like dog S*&% good thing we didn't step in it.