• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Monticello Swan Opportunity

I haven't posted here in quite awhile, but was asked to share this information with other photographers. When I was photographing the swans a week or so ago, I was asked by one of the neighbors if it would be advantageous to have a better viewing point, and I replied, "of course". It seems several photographers have been polled and the neighbors have come up with a solution. Here a letter I received based on that need and was asked to pass this information on to other photographers.

Many of you know that Monticello, MN., here on the Mississippi River, is home to “Swan Park“. Swan Park is possibly the greatest viewing and photography opportunity to the largest collection of wintering Trumpeter Swans in the world. I am happy to announce that you have available an exciting opportunity to view and photograph from a better vantage point the 1,200 Trumpeters and over 1,000 Canadian geese and ducks here in my back yard. I live right next to swan park. We have world class photographers from all North America come to take pictures of all these magnificent water fowl.

Traditionally, all photographers are required to take pictures of these birds only from Swan Park. The park is located on Mississippi Drive here in Monticello. Pictures from Swan Park are limited because of trees directly on the river in between the park and the river. After working with Sheila Lawrence, the “Swan Lady” I have constructed a huge heavy duty 10’ by 24” deck in my back yard. This deck is located much lower to the water level than pictures taken from the park. It is within 10 yards of the birds, and capable of safely holding 4 photographers at a time. The deck allows all photographers panoramic shots up to 180 degrees rather than being limited to 90 degrees from Swan Park.

My goal is to use the profits from the use of the deck to help pay for the 1200-1500 lbs of corn it takes each day to feed the birds each winter. Sheila and her husband pay out of pocket for any corn that is not covered by private donations. For $20/hour per person in cash you can use the deck for one hour or all day. If you are flying in from out of town you can block off any time slot you desire.

Our first professional photographer from MN. has already used the deck. He told me by using the deck he got much better quality low flying shots. Please contact me as soon as possible so I can lock in your preferred time slot on my calendar. Walkups are welcome also. Please forward this to other photographers who would want to take advantage of this opportunity…..and thanks for your help.

When you arrive, come to my front door to sign a liability wavier first, and then I will walk you down to the deck.

Respectfully,

Rich Thurman,

201 Mississippi Drive

Monticello, MN. 55362

763-295-4228

[email protected]

Thanks for the information, Debbie. I will be making a trip there in the next few weeks and will try out the other deck. I was there last year and thought it would be a better spot to photograph from because of the slightly lower angle and no tree obstructions like the other viewing platform has.