• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Parking Break Suzuki

Sgt. Schlitz

I have an 04' Suzuki Vinson 500 manual. Just changed the oil to Amsoil and while checking the machine over noticed that the parking break was not working. Upon further investigation found that the part that engages the drive shaft has a broken tooth. Removed part and ordered a replacement. Trying to figure out how this happened? Could trailering the machine with the parking break on cause that type of damage? I always tie it down but it still rocks a bit in the back of the truck or trailer. Should I leave in neutral while trailering?

Trailering with the parking brake on is very possibly the issue here. The continuous rocking back and forth will eventually weaken the parts that engage each other. I was always concerned about that when I had my Vinson.

A couple things I would do differently as you now know, if you use the parking brake while trailering, be sure the machine is secured so it doesn't rock back and forth.

The second is to keep in mind is never leave a machine in gear. It shouldn't be so much of an issue with an auto tranny. But the manual transmissions will experience wear if left in gear while towing.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, after breaking the part I had a feeling trailering with the break on could have been bad. Something you do not think about until after you have problems. From now on I will leave in neutral and trap it down good. Again thanks. Other than this issue it has been a great machine.