• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Kodiak Rear Brake Question

Boosey

I have a 2002 Kodiak 400. When the temperature gets below freezing the back wheels lock up. I assume there is water in the brake drum. Any thoughts before I start tearing things apart? Are the rear brakes easy to fix or any tips on replacing/cleaning. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Have you checked the rear differential? It's possible it has water in and that's what is freezing. The rear brake is on the left side only. There is a rubber "O" ring that seals the drum but I don't think it's very effective. Pretty easy to pull the drum off to inspect it. Have to remove the large nut in the center. Also check the cable that operates it as well as the pivot that goes through the rear of the backing plate. They can get full of crud and start to stick. Overall not a very good setup IMO.

Halfnutz. Thanks for the insight. That is very helpful actually. I'm at the point of taking the large nut off. Didn't have a big enough wrench, but I do now!! I did change the diff fluid after last winter thinking maybe that was it. It has to be water trapped behind the O-ring in the drum. thanks again.