• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing from shore

Does anybody fish crappies from shore in the spring at Devils Lake?

Also, I will be coming from Grand Forks, where would be the closest place to fish ANYTHING from shore.

I would like to take the boat, but it is tough for me to fish alone in a boat on a lake that I really don't know.

I am sure SOMEONE does but crappies are not a target of the vast majority of fisherman anytime of the year. I would imagine if someone accidentally catches a couple, they may fish for them, but they usually are not chased specifically.

Shorefisherman congregate near bridges and off the roads. Channel A on Highway 20 west of the city of Devils Lake is popluar at times so are the Woods/Rutten Road south of the rest area, and highway's 57 and 19 near Minnewaukan.

If you want to fish in a boat with someone you can hire a guide, they like to fish with people. wink.gif

I do not know when you plan to come but you won't be able to launch a boat off a ramp for at least two weeks. You could launch a car-topper in the open areas along shore near bridges and culverts.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

Devils Lake is absoulutly loaded with jumbo 1-2 pound perch. The trouble with catching them is that you are competing with a ton of freshwater shrimp forage. Any fish in Devils Lake just needs to open it's mouth and gorge itself on the billions of the little critters. 10 pound northerns are full of them.

Ice fisherman tend to jig way to much for perch and have little success. I think the perch suspend a little more in summer but still like slow presentations like slip bobbers and can be found anywhere but not everywhere.

White bass will suspend in winter 2-6 foot off bottom and like minnows more than shrimp. They seem to favor minnows throughout the year. White bass did not pack into and favor the same haunts in 01 as in 00. Three pound white bass are not uncommon. The hatch may be down some on white bass the past year which only means they'll be bigger this year.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND