• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electronic Fences - Wireless or In-ground

caseymcq

We are moving from a home that has a metal fence in the back yard to a home without a fence. We have been spoiled by the fence in that we have a doggy door and our lab goes in and out of the house as he pleases with no real concern from us because he is contained in the back yard. He really seems to like it too, at times he will sit / lay out on the deck all by himself.

We are thinking about getting an eletronic fence at the new house.

Does anyone own/use a electonic fence for their dog(s)? Opinions? Experiences? Wireless vs In-gound? Any infomation on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Any tips on installation / set-up of either one?

I have heard of rather than burrying the wire on the inground of running it through a garden hose and laying it ontop of the ground. It sounds kind of odd to me. Has anyone done this or known of anyone doing this? And how has it worked / panned out?

Problem with the the invisible fence is that once your dog gets out of it, it won't want to come back in. This does happen, too. Another problem is that it doesn't keep strays out. That can be a big problem. I'd stick with a fence, myself.

I have tried both wireless and In-ground. My vote goes to in-ground. It seemed that my wireless fluctuated. I would set out the flags one day and then go back out the next and find that it was triggering the collar 10ft further out, or 10ft further in. I didn't think that this suitable for training the dog boundaries, so I went with an in ground system. I absolutely loved it. Since my first system I have moved. I now have a yard that is fenced in with chain link on three sides. I installed underground fencing at this house too, and to cut down on the labor I only buried it where I could not tie it to the fence.

It won't keep out strays, and if your dog runs through it, it wont want to come back in, but if you live in an area that doesn't allow fences, or don't wand to install a fence right now it may be the way to go. I installed it myself, and did some work at one point as an installer for a commercial company. If you have any questions, PM me.

Erik

We had the Invisible Fence co. install ours and train our dogs. Proper training is the most important part. And ALWAYS have their collars on them. I once watched our two Bassets at full bay running about six feet behind a cottontail. When it crossed the line, the two dogs dropped to their bellies. If you can train those two nutball dogs, you can train any dog. Its worked with old dogs, pups, about six so far, with no escapes except when someone unplugged the power box once. But to walk a dog on the street, you can't just take off the collar and walk it across the line. We put them in the car and drive it out to the street. Otherwise it will break their training. I'm a firm believer in the system.

Casey,

I think that you would probably be fine with the training yourself. The key is to stick to the system and use patience. If you have done other training you understand the importance of setting up a good foundation and not pushing or testing the dog. I have helped fiends install systems and we have had good luck. One other bit of advice would be to scrap the thin wire that comes with the system and go with a decent direct burial wire. I always used a 3 conducter wire and just hooked up one of the wires. I think this helps with breaks due to cold, and with critters chewing on above ground installations. On smaller yards I used a flat trenching shovel. On larger yards I rented a wire laying trenching maching. Installations that I have done in the winter usually involve laying the wire out above ground and then returning in the spring to do the trenching.

The only other advice is to draw a diagram of where the connectors are underground so you can easily dig them up if there is a break. (this is the first place to check)

Erik