• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's up with this?

BobT

I use Vista Home Premium with Windows Mail for my email program. About a month ago I downloaded some stationary for Windows Mail (not from Microsoft) with some holiday themes. One thing I noticed is that the creators embedded music with the stationary. I finally found out how to turn off the music but there was a problem.

When I click on Create Mail the music would begin playing. I opened the Format menu and found where I can choose between playing the midi file once or continuously but Windows Mail doesn't have an option to disable sound for email messages. If I highlighted the field displaying the path to the sound bite and cleared it, the music would stop but every time I opened a new message it would be back again.

The path to the sound file was displayed as file:///C:\program files\cloudeight\music\ and there was a browse button so I could browse for sound files. I went to the file location and was able to see all the available midi files to choose from. Because the file type options in the browse window were limited to sound files I decided to use Windows Explorer and delete the sound files as I didn't want them anyway and I wanted to be able to see what other files might be in the folders.

When I navigated to C:\program files I was unable to see the folder cloudeight. I was logged in on our user account so I thought maybe it was a hidden folder so I logged in as administrator but I was still unable to find the folder.

I finally went back to our user account and opened the Format menu and from there browsed to the folder. I was able to delete the files and the Music folder without any problem using that browser window. I didn't want to delete the folder cloudeight because I believe that is where the actual stationary is stored and I wanted to keep them for now.

Can anyone explain why I was unable to locate the file using Explorer but I could using the Windows Mail browser window?

Thanks,

I thought about that. Using the Windows Mail browser I was able to open the properties for the folders and view the security for the file.

There are three accounts listed.

My administrator account, my family user account, and a third administrator account that looks like it was set up by Dell.

My family user account is listed as the folder's owner and it appears that the security settings mirror the Dell administrator account. I installed the files using the user account so that might explain why my administrator account doesn't have as high a security setting.

When I click on the Advanced button I get into security things that are over my head so I don't really know what to make of those settings.

There are some setting you can over ride and get in there if you really want to. But if you do it will allow do to do some stuff that you may not want to do. A lot of the do you really want to you see with vista is there cuz someone did something similar and shouldn't have. So to get to the point unless you really feel it would be a bennie, leave it as is.

That's pretty much where I'm at. Since it seems I'm able to remove the folders via the Windows Mail browser I know I can remove the stationary if I ever decide I don't want it anymore. In the mean time it takes up almost zero space on my hard drive so it's not a problem. It was mostly curious about how I was unable to see the folders using Explorer even as an administrator.

Thanks for the input.