• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

House training new puppy

fishindon

My son has a brand new best friend (chocolate lab) that is 7 weeks old. My question to all is - what is an easy way to house train a new puppy? I realize there is a goodly amount of work to training a new puppy for anything. He is real good at going every time you take him outside. Currently we (yes I am puppy sitting as my son and grand daughter are deer hunting) take him outside about every hour or if he acts like he has to go. He has had a few accidents at his home but nothing that I would consider excessive. Any hints for Charlie would be appreciated. He's sleeping on my feet right now.

you know i have been lucky with my two labs. the youngest was similar however he would go toward the door. biggest thing is to make sure that he is allowed to go out about every 45 min to hour as you noted. it is a pain at night but usually they wont go in their kennel unless there is no other choice. our 4 month old is starting to sleep thru the night. we did not do anything special simply as noted just make sure he can get outside. re affiming good boy bad boy thing, showing affection when he deserves praise and just petting is important. he is still a baby at 7 wks, so he will want to sleep a lot. good luck, it does get easier

yes forgot that, no water at least 2 hrs before bed along with food. our new pup got in the bad habit of not wanting to do his big work until 2 am. you could set your watch by that but now we feed pretty early and he is done by bedtime. rule of thumb, their bladder is good for 1 hr per month of age. so if your pup is 2 months old, figure max of 2 hrs in a kennel.

if they are peeing constantly in the house, you can set em on a bunch of newspapers whenever they start going. then move the newspapers closer to the door gradually, then outside. a little bit of work but its a solid method