• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Difference between Summer and Winter Fertilizer/Weed Killer

spearchucker

Is there any difference between the Scotts Summer Weed and Feed and the Winterguard Weed and Feed. They have the summer stuff on clearance for $5 cheaper per bag and both are 28-0-3. Is there any problem putting the summer stuff down on my lawn for the winter and saving myself $10?

Well you would be adding a useless chemical to the environment and maybe adding more nitrogen than is needed this time of year. I thought the winterizing fertilizer was higher in the last number to promote root growth. i don't think I would put down either of the ones you mentioned.

Well you would be adding a useless chemical to the environment and maybe adding more nitrogen than is needed this time of year. I thought the winterizing fertilizer was higher in the last number to promote root growth. i don't think I would put down either of the ones you mentioned.

Tom -

It used to be that N would be lower in the winterizer, but now, if you look, you'll see the N pretty much the same year around.

The thinking before was too much N and you'd promote topgrowth and possibly enhance snowmold.

Current studies show that isn't the case and that the higher N will not enhance the chances of snowmold or other turf diseases.

You can still spray or put down chemical as well.

You're not going to see any effect, as the top part of the weed most likely has been damaged or is wilting from the cooler temps.

However, the root structure, just as in turf is still trying to absorb as much engergy to hardy over winter, and will still take the chemical in as well.

Tom -

I've been doing this for 20 years and am constantly learning. laugh

My wife gets mad at me at times because I'm constantly reading different articles / websites online from the different turf universities.

Now it's the amount and kind of slow release, whether sulfur or poly, that determines the price / type of fertilizer.