• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard brackets rubbing?

anchor man

During my winterization from my earlier topic, I realized that the bracket that moves with the motor up and down during tilt/trim, rubs with the bracket that's stationary-mounted on the transom, and it's only on one side. I can see where it's worn smooth on the outside edge. This would explain the clucking I would sometimes hear when bringing the motor down. If what I'm trying to explain makes any sense..does anyone know if the brackets can be adjusted so they don't rub? Didn't think they should rub at all and hoping it would be an easy adjustment

Thanks

marin man, that does make perfect sense. It's about the width of a washer that rubs on the bottom bracket. The boat is up north now, but I'll check that out within the next few weeks.

If it's missing a washer it's been that way since I bought it new in '05. If it's a washer it would be the one on the left looking at the drawing. Would installing this require the engine be lifted off the bracket, or could I do it myself by undoing the nut (19), and sliding the bolt (14) back just far enough to slide the washer over it?

Thanks

You should be able to install a new washer as long as you can suppor the motor. You'll have to pull the steering cable out (which could be a problem, depending on how much space you have on the starboard side of the boat by the motor), loosen the nut you identified, pull the bolt (which is actually the tube the steering cable slides through) back and put the washer in you should be good to go.

Without supporting the engine somehow (could be a floor jack on the skeg I suppose) you're at risk of the engine tipping.

marine_man

Hey Marine Man,

I finally got up to the lake and checked out the washer and bushing you mentioned above and the washer does not appear to be there. Does this mean the bushing is likely missing too? With this type of issue, it seems obvious to me it was an installation error. How do you think the dealer should react on something like this when I bought the boat 4 years ago. If it is installation error, should they cover it? I'll ask them and find out, but just wanted your opinion on the issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Tough to say on the bushing; I would think that it would be there, otherwise I think you'd have some pretty loud squeaking noises by now.

With respect to the dealer; it's tough to say... I agree that it's definitely a manufacturers issue, but since it's been 4 years they're under no contractual reasons to perform the work for free.

It depends on your dealer.. if he's easy to work with and you're generally satisfied, and he knows who you are I think there's a good chance he'll get the manufacturer to approve it. It'll be a tough sell though...

marine_man