• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

training my gun dog

hamms-scooter

I have a lab that gets super birdie and runs way far out of gun range and i am wondering if anyone has any tips on training him to stay closer? is an e-collar the only option? he has had one on before (*i was borrowing one) but he is going to be 8 this feb.any advice? i dont have the wam for a collar now

Your dog is hunting for himself, not for the gun. I'm sure you are asking him to stay closer every time he does this, and he has decided to ignore you when there is something really good around, like rooster scent.

In my opinion, you need to work on basic obedience in distracting situations. Work on his re-call with some distractions around - whether that be in the park, around other dogs, throwing favorite toys and calling him off, actually in the field, or somewhere else. Enforce your commands with a long check cord and never give him a command until you know you can enforce it. Call him ALL the way back to you each and every time he goes out of range.

Even though your dog is 8, it sounds like he isnt ready for an e-collar yet. That is a tool that should only be used when the dog fully understands the command you are giving and that it can turn the stimulation off by obeying.

If you do decide to get an e-collar, read up on collar conditioning. It will save you from having a bull headed dog that can take a blast on full and keep going like it never happened.

Yes, I agree. A long check cord is the best answer and then work at him returning to you out in the field. It should not take to long for him to pick up on it. Just need to re-enforce the come command. Give the cord a attention getting jerk when he does not respond to the command, then lightly pull him into you while repeating the command, so he understands what is expected of him. He'll figure it out soon.