• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what do you do

DuckDog

I went out pheasant hunting yesterday with my 2 year old lab. While she is not perfect in the field nor am I.

Well she got a strong scent and poof out come a pheasant - she jumped grabbed it and brought it back to me. I was rather impressed at the effort until I realized it was a hen. She brought it to me and i praised her for her efforts and then let it go. It was not wounded and was able to fly away - whew!

Made me think what if the hen was too wounded to fly or came back dead? What do you do? I do not think I should scold her for her actions.

Oh and you should have seen her face when I let the bird go - you could just tell she was thinking... what the HeL! Thats just not right...

If she brings one back wounded or dead there's not much you can do other than leave it in the field, I don't think you'll find too many CO's that will believe your story, leave it lay and move on. You can't get mad at the dog if this happens, she's doing what you trained her to do...find birds.

yes every year my dogs catch a few hens and a few roosters. I dont like just leaveing the hens but i asked a CO in a gas station and that is what he told me to do. There have been times when i breast them out and eat them. but that is illegal

The Springers do that all the time, usually young birds and they rarely hurt them if they don't struggle much or get converged upon. Most often they get dropped in hand and I let them fly away.

Some get a rooster nose and don't bother with hens anymore. One used to yelp loudly only on roosters. The Samy had two levels of birdie - one for hens and a higher intensity saved for roosters.

If unfortunately the hen is harmed, leave it. Or if on private land give it to the farmer. Otherwise the fox needs to eat too.

No game farms for me, the dogs catch all the birds! Prefer wild ones anyway.