• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repairing aluminum boat

Powerstroke

I was recently given a 10-12ft aluminum boat for free. I realize it needs some work but now I'm trying to understand how much work is required and whether it will ever be functional.

In the front, between the middle and front seat the previous owner somehow creased the bottom of the boat over a log or something. The keel is cracked in that spot and there are 4 cracks in the bottom that lines up with lengthwise ribs. The boat leaks a bit but not terribly.

Is it salvageable? Will it require major work or should I be able to patch the cracks/rivets and brace the widthwise crease?

I realize this isn't alot of information. I'm going to try and get some pictures if it stops raining. I'm just trying to decide if its worth working on or if I should just try and scrap it

You can do wonders by just tightening the rivets (buck them properly, easy to do) and adding strength to the keel would be relatively easy with some alum strips and rivets, maybe some alum angle if needed.

Just be careful if you plan to ever row it, as you need to try to balance it for resistence --- been there, messed that up wink haha, but easy to do and fix.

Look for a true rivet tool for air hammer and the true rivets. I had a linkt to the tool, but can't find it. Will look later and post if I find it. Works great and easy.