• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cuts on Face

walleyes12

I am been hunting my 1 1/2 yr old spring spaniel pretty hard since opener, and he started to get cuts on the sides of the eyes and across the top of the nose from the grass. The cuts on top of the nose look to be very sore, and they were bleeding pretty good the other day hunting. Is there anyway to prevent this out hunting? I have been washing the cuts every night, and applying neosporene on the deeper cuts. They are looking alot better. Should I wait a few days before going out again to let those heal, or are they going to be a problem all year. Thanks guys

The posse (4 Springers) had that problem alot last year. They'd hunt hard all weekend, rest during the week and be ready to go again. Likely it bothers you more than the dog but that skin will get toughen up though the hair will still keep wearing off.

The problem was mostly around their eyes. Keep them clean and I like Bactine for easy spray on application, not around the eyes though. A little vascaline can help too.

Good luck

My brittany gets swollen and beat up around his eyes in nose, but I have never seen it come to the point of open wounds. I work him very hard in the cattails all pheasant season, but I've never heard of it getting that bad before!

Bag Balm worked for me for many years but the last 3-4 I've started using the EMT Gel. I use it to protect areas starting to show wear and also put it on as a preemptive treatment for known problem areas like nose etc. The stuff is really tough and dries on like a second layer of skin.

My dog cut a pad on his foot pretty bad on Saturday. Does the balm for cow udders work for something like that? Somebody was telling me about an ointment that was not cleared for use on dogs but it was cleared for use on cattle for healing, and this ointment works great....the cruddy thing is that I forgot the name of it.