• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Through -wire lure construction

I want to try to make a few musky jerk baits and top water baits this winter. From what I've read, you should use a through wire contruction for musky and pike baits. Is that correct, or will epoxy hold the screw eyes?

If wire is the ticket, I have 2 questions that someone here may have the answer for. 1) what size wire do you use for the through wire? Is it the same as a bucktail - .051? And question 2) what is easiest (and will hold) for the hook hanger on the belly of the bait? I've seen swivels on a small piece of looped wire, a big wire loop, and other goofy contraptions. What works best? Most examples I find in books and internet articles are for bass baits and are either too weak or too small.

big musky jerkbaits, I go for .051, but .035 is tons easier to work with and will probably hold just fine.

With my through wire construction, I actually epoxy the body around a wire frame of .051 wire that incorporates belly hangers, so the line tie and all hook hangers are one piece of wire.

I use .062 on my musky baits. For the belly hook hanger I use a "paper clip" style hanger that loops around the main shaft and then has a second bend at the belly that perpendicular(90 degrees) to the main shaft in which I put a split ring on, and then finish it off with traditional hook hanger to give it a "finished" look. I use .032 200lb wire for the "paper clip" hanger.

If you dont want to take the extra time to do it that way I am sure using a heavy swivel that has the main shaft running through one end will work just fine. I do mine the way I do more out of tradition and reverence for makers Like Frenchy Lamay etc than anything.