• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

heat lamp size???

Ryan_V

how big of a heat lamp should I put on my puppy?? I have a 7 week old shorthair I just picked up. she is going to be an outside dog, but I know she needs something for heat with this weather. I've been keeping her in the garage at night, but I have her house/kennel all set up. she has a very nice, insulated house with a spot to hang a heat lamp from the ceiling. I currently have about a 125 watt in there. I do have a 250 infared, but that seems like too much. Any thoughts?? I don't want her to suffer... I should also mention, she is on the east side of my garage, so will be protected from wind.

thanks for any advice.

There's a product called a Hound Heater for under a hundred bucks that will heat the dog house. Has a thermostat that you set and works great. made by a guy in Big lake. Much better than a heat lamp. Try googling it.

During the winter I keep the water pails in the big insulated dogshed. There are two infrared heat lamps mounted on the wall about 2 feet above the pails only to keep the water from freezing. I only mention this to give an idea how much heat these produce.

If its below 20 degrees one lamp goes on. Above that the water won't freeze. Only if it gets colder than -15 or -20 does the second light come on.

Your pup needs to acclimate to being an outside dog so needs to get used to cold weather. Dogs that start out outside do fine by developing higher metabolisim rates in the beginning.

You might start with a simple bulb with a protective, heat safe cover and be sure any cords can not get chewed.

Thats a rather young pup and a short hair dog, that garage might be the best place to start so transitions slower.

Rather certain a friend with GSP only uses a regular bulb in his doghouse.

One thing I did with mine was to mount it in my workbench. My dog's garage kennel is under my workbench, with a dog door to his outdoor run. I cut a hole in my bench and mounted the heatshield in the hole. That way when he is on his pad to keep him off the floor he can't bump the light. That and a couple of blankets and he is nice and warm all winter. Garage is insulated and sheetrocked also.

thanks guys, her house is a good size for a grown shorthair, so it's obviously a little big right now. there is an attic with a access door in the back of it to set a lamp in. so the light is about 18" or 2' above her right now. it does keep the house nice and warm though!