• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading?

Looking at upgrading from my XSi to a 50D...of course the 7D sure looks inviting! I will be selling mine to a friend who wants to get something better than what she currently owns, so my kit lens (18-55) and the EF 70-300 IS will be going with in this sale. I already have the 70-200 f2.8L lens, so what would be a good choice for a more "close quarters" lens. Most of my photography will be of our children in sports (volleyball, hockey,tennis) and the occasional portrait stuff. Thanks in advance for your help.

ss, you'll need speed even at wide angle for those indoor sports, so I'd look for a used Canon 16-35 f2.8L Mk1. Since the Mk2 came out, the still excellent Mk1 has shown a significant price drop used. You may also consider the Canon 24-70 f2.8L, which on a 1.6 crop body isn't quite wide angle but is significantly wider than your 70-200.

If budget is an issue, Tamron and Sigma both make excellent 17-50 f2.8 lenses of pro quality for a lot less than Canon money. I have a copy of the Tamron and it focuses very quickly and is nice and sharp even wide open.

Good recommendations on wide lenses from Steve, though if you are looking for fast accurate focus I would stick with the first two he mentions. Most sports shooters use one of those two lenses shooting wide with the majority using the 24-70/2.8. I also have a Tamron 28-75/2.8 that does a very credible job. I've used it on virtually every indoor sport and on a fast focusing body it does OK. The price is really tough to beat at around the $320 mark.

If you are looking for primes for a cheap price you can look at the 50/1.8. Works OK, noisy focus and the focus tends to hunt but for the price its worth keeping one in your bag. Another highly regarded prime is the 85/1.8. Many portrait shooters love this lens on full frame or 1.3 bodies. I have one that gets pulled out when it is really dark inside a venue and on the occasional portrait shoot.

If I might offer some insight on "close quarter" lenses. I have a few of them and for the most part they rarely see the light of day. The lens you do own, the 70-200/2.8 rarely ever comes off of one of my cameras. I really prefer that lens on a full frame or 1.3 crop body because the 70mm end works much better on many indoor venues, you mentioned volleyball. It is a really nice lens for both hockey and tennis.

The lens I use the most on the wide end is the 17-40/4, this is a real work horse for me with most of team shots I do. Most of the sports shooters that use the 24-70 use it on full frame or 1.3 crop bodies. So if you are looking for something on the wide end with a budget I would look at the 17-40L and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 because of the price. I don't personally use any EF-S lenses because I shoot both types of cameras and don't want any glass that I can't use on any camera. If you won't be upgrading to a full frame or 1.3 crop body that may not be a concern.