• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best doggie door

erikh45

I recently poured a slab for my kennel, and now I want to put a dog door in the side of my garage to give my dog access to the box inside that I am building. If anyone has ideas of how to make one on the cheap I am all ears. If anyone has one that they bought and like, I would like to know.

Erik

I had the exact set-up that you are describing and I simply made one out of plywood on a couple of hinges. I will caution you to make sure that you either buy or make it tall enough for your dog. Mine was not and as my lab went through it over the course of a couple of years it rubbed all of the hair off of his chest and it has now been 3 years since we stopped using it and his hair has not grown back.

I have the hanging double flap with magnets type door, Sorry I can’t remember the name maybe a Pet Safe. It is worthless from now until April in my opinion. Since I installed this I have seen a spring loaded side swing door. I don’t know who makes it but have seen them installed at a few houses when I have been out on service calls.

It is held tight with a spring with a kinda of 45° angle of about 3” or so of lip on it past the opening. The dog uses its nose to pry open then squeezes through closing tight behind them.

I would put one on the outside and one on the inside if I could.

I still hope to get one somewhere to put on the outside of what I have now.

Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know

I used to use pieces of carpet on both sides but that does not stop the wind.

I was just doing research on doors today and ran across the gun dog one that seems to be well built but it is not going to stop the wind for my use. my heating bills are getting too much because of the draft that was coming in all winter.

I have found 2 others that are motorized that I can seal onto the garage wall so it will be secure and draft free.

The first one is power pet and costs around $350

PX-2Lifestyle-450px.jpg

The second one is made by SOLO and is the one i'm leaning toward. It costs a lot, but i am going to save quite a bit in the heat bill for heating my 4 stall garage. It is triggered by a magnet which is more reliable than the sensor if it gets wet etc. It can be plugged in or hard wired so batteries are not an issue. It seems a lot quieter than the power pet one.

If you oogle SOLO pet door the site 3rd down will show better pictures.

dogpic.jpg

Thanks for the help. I ran across the gun dog doors and they look pretty slick. The price is pretty good as well. Looks like a simple design (Which I like) Anybody know someone who uses one? If I get one I will let you know how it works.

I have had the one where the corner is rolled on the outside with the spring on the side. The dog runs his nose under the rolled corner when he wants in and just pushes through when he wants out.The spring keeps the aluminum door tight to building,simple design. Mine is probably 5 years old and has two dogs using it daily since new. The only problem is I can't remember what it's called but I've seen them before in hunting supply books.

The dog shed has two mounted on each side of one door so there is a flap both inside and out. I'd bet I bought them at Fleet or Maynards ten some years ago. Out of the package they had the solid door flap with a boarder piece covering the seems. Both parts swing. Of course the dogs chewed off the boarder cover but the door flaps have been there a long time.

Not great for a house entry but OK for the garage. Check those places, don't think I paid more than $25 each.

The pups learned to use it Sunday and spent their first night encroaching on the big dogs' space.