• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Interesting thing about trail cameras

FishingWebGuy

When my son shot a doe last weekend our trail camera was still up in the tree next to him. He shot the doe next to a stump that we know is in our camera pictures. Strangely, when we checked the camera the doe never appeared on a picture during his hunt.

So now I have to wonder if the motion detector doesn't necessarily pick up any motion that would appear in the picture? Maybe the object has to be a lot closer to trigger the motion detector? Since we have the camera setup in an area that is about 40yards across, I wonder how many deer would slip by on the other side and not get caught on film?

Anyone else experience this? Our camera is a Moultrie i40

I've been thinking about the same thing with my 6.0 but I spose the owner's manual would tell me if I took the time to read it.

I might have a better idea since this last week is the first week I've left it out. I'm always afraid someone will steal it.

BTW, fwg, you seem to be learning in leaps and bounds. I've noticed you pick up on this sport pretty well. You ask good questions.

I've been thinking about the same thing with my 6.0 but I spose the owner's manual would tell me if I took the time to read it.

I might have a better idea since this last week is the first week I've left it out. I'm always afraid someone will steal it.

BTW, fwg, you seem to be learning in leaps and bounds. I've noticed you pick up on this sport pretty well. You ask good questions.

I was just thinking I should go find the manual. It probably explains sensitivity.

The slow economy provides ample time to study up on the habits of deer and ask questions on FM smile

Most of them have some kind way to test to see the effective range of the sensor. Most of the time you set it to test and walk in front and a light will go on if it can detect you. You might need someone to stand next to the camera off to the side and not move so they can see if the light is on . When I am by myself, it get too far away and can't tell if the test light is on. I have found that it is very close to the flash range. If you have a 30 ft flash, it is about 30ft, 45 ft flash, 40 ft. I'm not saying that it can't pick up pictures of things farther away, but I think that the farther it gets, the harder it is for the eye to pick up the motion.

One tip is to the try and find a funnel with a solid backdrop. Like a brushpile, corn field, thick weed edge. This will ensure you get a picture of whatever walks between the camear and the funnel edge. Might not be that easy in the big woods, down here, I put most of mine between cornfields and field edges. I get pics as they walk the edges of the corn fields.

Most of them have some kind way to test to see the effective range of the sensor. Most of the time you set it to test and walk in front and a light will go on if it can detect you. You might need someone to stand next to the camera off to the side and not move so they can see if the light is on . When I am by myself, it get too far away and can't tell if the test light is on. I have found that it is very close to the flash range. If you have a 30 ft flash, it is about 30ft, 45 ft flash, 40 ft. I'm not saying that it can't pick up pictures of things farther away, but I think that the farther it gets, the harder it is for the eye to pick up the motion.

One tip is to the try and find a funnel with a solid backdrop. Like a brushpile, corn field, thick weed edge. This will ensure you get a picture of whatever walks between the camear and the funnel edge. Might not be that easy in the big woods, down here, I put most of mine between cornfields and field edges. I get pics as they walk the edges of the corn fields.

Yea, I've found that hanging, aiming and testing them is difficult to do well with 1 person.

I just put one out yesterday on the edge of a bean field by a stand of pines where two trails intersect and their are bedding marks. Probably won't pick up much in the field but hopefully it will catch everything walking the edge. I figure I have about 2 weeks before the beans come in so we'll see what it catches.

I see that Walnut Creek Archery has the i40s for $152 now with a 1GB card. I might have to pick up a couple more.

So now I have to wonder if the motion detector doesn't necessarily pick up any motion that would appear in the picture? Maybe the object has to be a lot closer to trigger the motion detector? Since we have the camera setup in an area that is about 40yards across, I wonder how many deer would slip by on the other side and not get caught on film?

The effective range is far less than the 40 yards (120 feet) acrossed your field. You will be able to see that distance in some pictures when a closer animal sets off the camera, but to actually set off the camera you have to be within 25-40' or there abouts depending on the camera.

I just read the manual and my Moultrie will detect out to 35-45' which seems to be my experience (10-15 yards).

So on wider funnels/trails I just need to set one up on each side to cover 20-30 yards.

Wishing I had read the manual before. I'm sure we missed a lot of pictures because of that.

The Moutrie i40 is an awesome camera! Drains very little battery. Takes great video in day and night. That is a great deal at $153. I just spent $200 and feel it was worth every penny. Battery drain for me has been minimal. I am definately getting another one. I agree with setting up the camera angling down a trail. I also like the multishot mode. I am having a ton of fun with the camera. It helps me feel like I am productively scouting as I have two small children that make it a little difficult to get out right now. Bugs spray doesn't fly well with them. Happy Scouting!