• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mom/dad are brother/sister..problems with puppies

Ryan_V

I'm looking at a purebred shorthair where the litter was an accident. The mom and dad are brother/sister. both are great hunters and great dogs, one neighbor has mom, another dad, and...oops!!! Should I stay away from these pups?? What kind of problems could one expect??? they are very cheap, so I've been considering it, but not sure yet. thanks for the advice. by the way, I'm not looking to make a field champion, just want a partner for the field and around the yard (outside dog)

Some of the best crosses i've ever seen were out of brother sister crosses, i've inbred really tight for a few generations and never had a problem, in the dogs i hunt you have to cull hard for certain problems etc, if both parents are good though it should not bring up a ton of recessive genes etc...i'd try it...its a myth that you can't inbreed its done a ton and works great

O.K., so I think I'm getting one of these dogs, more opinions are welcome...now any ideas on a good name for her???

female, mostly white, liver head, a few ticks and 2 liver spots, one around her tail and one on her rump!!

Doing father to daughter, then granddaughter, then great granddaughter, w/ Moesgaard Ib is how Dr Kline fixed the Moegaard (Danish line is what many people call them) line and then they did the same thing w/ his son Fieldacres Ib. It is in the book The New Complete GSP written years ago. It was way before my time & I started in '75 I may have the Moesgaard Ib vs Fieldacxres Ib backwards, but the important thing was the Dr Kline did not worry about making $$$. He made a line. Some people say he used Pointers. It was long before my time but he made the breed into romping stomping go get'em birddogs.

I have bred that tight and know of others also that have. Size of the individual animals may decrease. If the pups look right and act right, and you are willing to put the dog down or nor breed in the future if a problem is manifested, go for it.

Amen on the romping stomping go get'em birddogs part. I love it.

As far as the pointer outcross goes - none of those old Moesgaard dogs looked like pointers to me. Those dogs that came from Scandinavia were already leggy and white.

I once had a pup that had a couple dogs bred too closely that I had to put down due to genetic issues. Not fun.

Leggy and white discribes 1/2 the Shorthairs I see these days. I have Rawhide stuff heavy in the 2 I have left. Sadly I had to put down my leggy white 12 yr old male a couple of weeks ago. He came at the wrong time in my life. I had quit trialing for what I then thought was going to be a year or 2. He needed an owner that would either spend the $$$ on a handler / trainer or for me to get back in. Neither one happened but I did get what I wanted frfom him; carriers of genetics.

What ever Dr Kline did, he did it right. A true breeder.

I've been told a lot of stories by breeders, other handlers, and owners over the years. They do stay with me though; other wise I never would have been told them. Not just about GSPs either. No name to this, the man recently died, but riding along judging once he told me "I crossed Brittanys with Pointers. It worked but by the time I got them looking like Brittanys again the Pointer wasn't working." Not a knock on Britts; he just wanted tall leggy dogs that had a lot of high pointing posture and would back easy and bang around the prairies for an hour+ in front of a mounted handler.

I've heard stories too. I had a guy that is now a coverdog trialer tell me he was there when a certain nationally well known trialer outcrossed to a pointer. Whether it happened or not in one instance doesn't matter IMHO. It seems to me that to make the whole pointer thing work a large number of breeders would need to be in on it and breed repeatedly (and to winning field trial quality pointers) to fix traits etc. I have a hard time believing in a conspiracy like that.

However the Amercanized field trial shorthair got the way they are I don't care. I do know I like'em though.