• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Lakers

scott-z

I am going to be heading to Red Lake Ontario in early September and am looking for some advice on how to hook up on some lake trout. I have never caught one and really have no real idea where to start. I have read that they go shallow in the fall and can be caught trolling spoons. I have also heard large minnows in deeper water are productive. Any help is appreciated.

Hey ScottZ-
I can't say I know much about catching fall lakers but there is a great infisherman video about lakers that goes into some detail about seasonal patterns. Your local library or video store might have it to rent vs. buying. Good luck and tightlines!
redhooks

i don't know much about in the fall like you say, but i normally fish in summer and winter for them, and fish in fairly deep depths, 25-60 ft. or more. for bait i like to use either ciscos or large shiners on a jig, other wise i have the best luck with a large white tube jig, i have seen an in-fisherman video where they are fishing on great bear lake up in i think NW territories, and they were catching them in 15ft and shallower, if you can find that video i'd get it, they catch some reall pigs

I checked out the video last night and it gave some pretty good info. It sounds like if the water temp is in the low 50's the fish should start to move up into the shallows to begin there spawning ritual. I would think that the water should be starting to cool by early September when I will be going up there. Thanks guy's!