• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Courthouse pond Blue Gill

greenman

Fished Courthouse Pond this morning. I would cast out and in about 30 seconds I'd get a bump and small pecks. I missed the hook set about a dozen times. Thought I was
doing something wrong. Finally hit it and find out I've got a small Blue Gill on the end. About 4 inches long. How did they get in there? Please dispose of any you catch as I'd hate to have to start sorting through lots of Sunnies to get some trout.

My buddy and I were out there last night and caught a couple little sunnies as well. We also noticed a small fish about 2 inches long that could only be described as something you would see in an aquarium. It was black with gold vertical bars on its sides. It was hanging out in a small rock pile and would dart in and out to fend off a small school of juvenile sunnies. I tied on the smallest thing I had to try and catch that bugger but could hook up.

By the way we were not just seeing one or two sunfish, we were seeing schools and schools of 2 - 3 inchers.

I spoke with the DNR Fisheries Division and they are aware of the sunfish infestation. They will not worry about it unless it gets out of hand.

DNR West Metro Fisheries Division
952-826-6771

I don't think there are enough big trout in there to eat all those Sunnies. Maybe the DNR could put some of there spent stud trout in there to eat up those sun fish.