• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pit Lakes

JOSHF

Does anybody get out trout fishing in the Crosby Ironton area for trout on the Pit lakes? Pennington, Portsmouth, Manuel, Section 6, or Mahnomen? Its been a few years since I've been up there. Never downrigged up there, But I have added those to my fishing militia since I was there last.
I would appreciate any help or stories from the last couple of years. THANKS

JOSHF,
I live about a mile from the Huntington/Fiegh mine pit. In my opinion, it is the best of all of them. I usually do better than most others when I fish it. Last sunday my daughter and I caught 6 fish over 16.5 inches and 4 between 13 and about 15. We had to throw back 2 over 16 because the limit is three apiece. I have never used downriggers because I've never heard of any body doing very well on them. I use cowbells and small (about 2 1/4") rapalas. Start with 3/4 oz. of wieght and let out 3 arm lengths of line. Keep adding wieght until you catch decent size fish, sometimes up to 2 1/2 oz. One thing that makes a huge difference is the knot on the rapala. Tie a regular improved cinch knot and get it tight. Then slide the knot down so that it comes off the bottom of the rapala eyelet. Forget about rapala knots or others, having the knot down works best 9 about 10 fish to one better).

Ringy,

Lance Waffensmith wants to know if you're Tom.

Lance and I fish Pennington a couple times a year. Pretty small trout but lots of fun. Bobber and worm.

Ringy,

I used to camp and fish the pits a long time ago. It's fun throwing for bass and pike in the clear water. Never did very well with the trout.
I want to get back up there but don't want to run my truck through the woods to get to a camping spot.
Is there anywhere that is accessible to camp on the water without ruining my truck?
Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
If the women don't find you handsom, they should at least find you handy.

Mike in Lino,
It's hard to explain the area around there. Lot's of little roads that take you everywhere. Almost got lost on wheeler.

About the bass and pike. They are in there, but I don't think the numbers are high. And being that it's so clear they are in the deep trees.

There's a shallow bay 12' that has a lot of trees but not many bass at least when I was there on memorial.

Did get our limit on small trout. YUMMY!!

Ps you can get a map on the DNR HSOforum. Also, if you do go, go early. It gets packed and alot of scubadivers. Talk to them, they know where the fish are.

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 06-27-2003).]