• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump Estimate?

JimBuck

I dropped off my boat today at the mechanic to get some throttle work done and he noticed that my fuel filter and fuel pump are still the factory originals from 1988 and recommended that I switch them out. I have a Mariner 45h.p. tiller. I'm curious as to what I should expect for an estimate on replacing these components and if this is probably a good idea to replace to avoid further complications down the road. He said roughly 4 bills and some change for both the filter and pump including labor. Does this seem reasonable? Thanks folks.

FWIW, our '82 Merc 50hp (same motor as your 45) still have original fuel pump and there is no problem on ours, at least at this point. I personally would not spend $400 on something that ain't even broke yet...

Also, not sure about the merc fuel pump, but I rebuilt my own on a 96 evinrude 25hp with a $26 kit. I even did mine on a dock while standing in water with waders on.

Maybe it is apples and oranges, I am not sure. But that "classic 50" motor will run and keep running. Good luck.

If you're mechanically inclined you can get a pump rebuild kit for your motor and a new filter for a whole lot less than that, and do it yourself pretty easily.

Also, while preventative maintenance is never a bad idea, I don't think these two items fall into that category if they're still functioning fine in my opinion.

marine_man

Cheers, thanks guys. I understand electronics and circuitry but these tasks seem a little over my head and I'd rather let someone that knows what there doing handle it. I might have to give those a second thought, especially at the tune of 4 bills. eek