• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaders for Cats ???

Mr Special

Maybe I’ve been watching too many salt water fishing shows lately, but has anyone thought of running a heavy test leader for cattin? When I say heavy I mean at least #50 mono, about 10’-15’ and then to the mainline which is usually #65-#80 braid. I think this might help against abrasions and serve at a shock leader. What do you guys think?

I use #65 Power Pro for most my cat angling needs, and also run a leader of a lesser line test rating to lessen loss of terminal rigging. My average leader test is #30, either in a mono or a braid depending on the application.

With braids you need a break-away point or your going to loose everything once shagged up. Odds are the hook is the main snag culprit and this should be considered your acceptable loss point when rigging.

There are a few situations where I will use the same test as I need the extra pull to free from nascence snags but not terminal snags, then it pays to keep your test similar.

The general rule on leader length is faster the water the shorter the leader. There are exceptions to everything, such as in float fishing where a long leader actually may lessen snags when rigged unweighted. Let the application dictate the leader length.

In the end, you save $$$ by allowing a predetermined break-away point. It also saves you time re-rigging and gets you back baited and on fish sooner.

What I had thought was to connect about 10’ of #50 mono to the mainline. I believe when I break off on the hookset or after a few seconds of the fight is usually within the 1st few feet of line after the sinker. Now that I think about it more the knot connecting the two lines will probably be the weak link anyhow and more work to mess with.

Thanks though, but I think I’m probably just over thinking it that’s all. Lol

My long time rigging trick for protecting the knot at the swivel is to use a 1" section of aerator tubing above the #5 swivel, and below my No-Roll or slip style sinker.

I also add a 10MM plastic bead (Not Glass) above the 1" snubber, and below the weight, this ads strength and also adds a bit of sound that I feel can add to the attraction factor of the bait set in very turbid waters.

This system protects your knot from being beat to death from the weight and lessens break-off's at that point. Often this is the weakest link in the rigging, due to wear.

Use the silicone weight scrubbers, it will save you $$$ in the long run.