• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Treated Wood Bunk Boards?

ToddyP5

Fellas-

Last year I installed new bunk boards and carpet on my 03' Prestige trailer. Heard the chemical in the wood will eat away the aluminum? Any one know if there is truth to this? Boat is in storage but hoping it is not too late if the rumor is true? Any help would be great....

It's not a rumor. About 7 years ago they switched from copper arsinic to alkaline copper quaternary to treat lumber. The ACQ is very corrosive to metals, aluminum is extremely reactive with it. Then 2 years ago another new process called micronized treated lumber came out that is less corrosive.

Lowes & Home Depot were the first to carry micronized lumber in this area and many local yards carry it. I'm not sure about this year but last year Menards instock treated was all ACQ.

Since your bunks are carpeted the boat is somewhat insulated from the teated lumber, but because of the wet enviornment some chemicals may leach out.

If your bunks were labled micra or micro something you should have no problem. If it was labled ACQ or AC2 you have the corrosive lumber.

All lumberyards had warning signs all around the ACQ treated lumber about it's corrosiveness for the first few years it was on the market but customers paid no attention to them.