• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

K & N Filter

chasineyes

I would google some tests on atv air filters. I have read some that said that they may let a bit more air through than a paper or foam filter, but they also let more fine particles through. I wouldn't spend the extra money for one. Just what I have read though. Here is a paragraph from one of the tests that I read and I didn't want to copy the whole thing to here. It seems like this test rated the oiled foam filter as best.

My overall conclusions? I value filtration efficiency over maximum airflow numbers, so my first inclination is to favor the oiled-foam filter, then the pleated-paper, and last the oiled-gauze. I ran my R1100GS (closed-loop engine management system which ensured appropriate jetting) without a filter, and then with the stock pleated-paper as well as the oiled-gauze filter. Any power gains netted from running without an air filter were less than the margin of error in my timed testing; I'll call it less than 5%. Overall engine smoothness was increased above 4.5K RPM without an air filter. I concluded that the filter was a restriction in airflow above 4500RPM, but not significantly enough to provide a demonstrable decrease in power. The oiled-gauze filter displayed the same characteristics as did running with no air filter installed. I have yet to wring out the oiled-foam filter from the standpoint of engine manners and performance. Given that the "no filter" test resulted in minimum acceleration-timed power gains, I expect to be fairly comfortable with whatever the oiled-foam filter provides in terms of airflow.... Bottom line; a sheet of (thin) oiled gauze will flow more and filter less than a sheet of (thicker) oiled foam, and a paper filter is a good compromise between sturdiness and filtration requirements. Kinda a common-sense expectation and the test data does appear to support that conclusion