• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Auger won't start

phins2

Question

I have a 3 hp tecumseh motor on my Jiffy that I bought in 1994 or so. Now, unless I store it inside it won't start. I suspect I have water in the gas, so I had a can of Seafoam around and I added some to the gas tank. (it says on the can it will dry out gas. Heet probably would have been better.) And I have still the same situation after cutting a dozen holes. If left in the cold it will not start. I've had a few conversations about this and a few other little things going on with the auger with others and felt before I take it to a mechanic something simple even a moron like me could fix. In addition to this:

1. Until it gets really warmed up it stalls during cutting a hole about every 3 seconds. To keep it from killing you have to reprime it and then do it again 3 seconds later. The longer it runs the less it does this. It will also kill while you carry it between holes.

2. Sometimes when it has drilled a half dozen holes it will stay running better so that you need to use the switch to turn it off, it will not shut off.

3. I have used ethanol fuel the entire life of the auger. I will use probably 3 gallons per year. I guess this is also very bad according to some. The manual states "gasohol" is an acceptable fuel subject to storage procedure. I have always run the tank dry or put seafoam in the can and run this for the season and left it in for the summer. I also went to the Amsoil Saber Professional mixed at 75:1 for a couple of gallons last fall and then this fall I chickened out and went 50:1

I am going to drain the tank and replace it with gasoline (no ethanol) with some heet and see if this helps. Thanks for any insight someone might have on this.

5 answers to this question

Yes definitely put a carb kit in. I just fixed one for my buddy and it runs like a champ now. I have an old Jiffy from 1980 and it still runs like a million bucks. Just make sure you summerize it properly every spring and mix the gas and oil as close as you can to 24:1 and it will start and run for many years.